The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Friday, April 22, 2005

A Bridget Jones moment

Am coding genius! Have successfully coded (i.e. cut'n'pasted--but edited too!--Blogger's code) for links. Having added five, I'm exhausted. And I haven't the guts right now to try to figure out how to get the heading in the same cool scripty look as the other headings. That's brilliance for another day.

The last time I had anything to do with coding was my sophomore year in college, when I took an intro to computer science course for "fun." I wanted to see if I had any aptitude for such things; plus, I was dating a computer science major at the time, and thought there might be an added bonus of me beginning to understand what he was talking about. The class consisted of a bunch of male freshman comp sci majors, a few of my math-major girlfriends, and little ol' English major me.

Summary of course:
* First quarter: Focus is building computers and writing code. I come to every class, do all the homework, and take copious notes, because I do not understand ANYTHING. I literally write down every word the professor says. The freshman boys skip class on a regular basis.
* Second quarter: Focus is the ethics of artificial intelligence. I do OK on this, because I am an English major and therefore speak Ethics. I still come to every class, do all the homework, and take copious notes, though, because the focus may be ethics but the subject is still computer science, and did I mention that I do not speak Computer Science? The freshman boys stop coming to class entirely.
* Finals week: The freshman boys attack me. They plead for my notes. We strike a bargain, and spend many happy hours in our dorm lobby and kitchen, and the boys read my notes and one of them explains what I wrote to me, while the others try to break into the locked kitchen cabinets or rewire the TV.
* Outcome: We all pass the class (I get a B). I do NOT pursue a career that involves a) building computers or b) writing code. I marry a biologist, who is, incidentally, not half bad at computery things.

I do remember, though, the few moments of triumph at coding, like when my partner and I finally got a graphic to look the way it was supposed to (metallic gold instead of brain-searing yellow). And I am pleased to report that today the code even looked just a little bit familiar! And my gentle readers can link where no link was before! Dr. Plantinga, if you're out there, be proud.

5 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger Neb said...

I took that class with Dr. Plantinga too!! It was hard, but I had more trouble with C++ with Dr. Hayward. I do not speak Compuer Programming, and Dr. Hayward did not speak Human Being.

I liked the logic gates part of Dr. Plantinga's class, but got completely lost on something called "ray tracing"...

Code is overwhelming, so I find your links Quite Impressive. :-)Perhaps when I get around to trying to put links on MY blog, I'll have to get your help. ;-)

Love, Neb

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mad HTML skillz.

Your nice scripty heading font may be a problem, though, as the "Recent Posts" and "Archives" are both graphics...

P

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Yeah, what "anonymous" said. If you don't want it to say "Links" then you're out of luck on the scripy thing.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Ooh, gotcha.

Am evidently not so much coding genius as previously thought, not to notice little things like the unfindability of nice scripty font being due to its graphic nature.

Have fun with that last statement, "anonymous."

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Actually, anonymous is quite the web designer and could probably help you make a new set of similar graphcs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home