The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

A cornucopia for the convex, indeed

Lately, I've been outgrowing maternity clothes at a rather rapid rate. Most of my maternity clothes are loaners, with a few items generously donated for keeps, and an even fewer that I actually bought. The problem is that I have a Professional-Dress-requiring job, and I have been outgrowing all my professional clothes. (T-shirts I have aplenty.) I'm trying to save our pennies for a post-baby wardrobe (has anybody NOTICED the price of nursing bras, alone?!), so I basically decided to just brazen it out until mid-June, wearing the same three or four outfits over and over until school ends and I can lounge about in a large floral muumuu all the time.

So, last Sunday, a wonderful mommy of 5 from our church handed off a huge box of maternity clothes. For me! To keep! And, what's more, she's one of those refreshing ladies who unabashedly gains 60-80 pounds per pregnancy (and then, even more encouragingly, loses it all afterwards), so her clothes contained a lot of mediums (which is my size right now), larges (which don't fit me yet), and extra-larges (which I will hopefully never need. But you never can tell).

Yesterday I opened the Box of Joy, and what a box, indeed! Work-worthy sundresses, skirts, pants, a few pairs of (non-work) shorts. This is so exciting, because Squidgle is a summer baby, and now I won't be forced to wear that large floral muumuu to work when the weather gets really hot.*

Here's the thing that really intrigued me: In a few moments of non-penny-pinching weakness, I've been admiring a pale green shirt-and-capri set on a maternity store website. Pretty color, summery, professional, the whole deal. Amongst the clothes I opened yesterday was a pale green shirt-and-pants set (not the same one, but similar. And looser. Which is good). The phrase "My God shall supply all my needs according to his riches in glory" kept running through my head as I unpacked beautiful, useful garment after beautiful, useful garment. That green outfit was the whipped cream on the chocolate milkshake. It was a wonderful reminder to me that God seems to have this thing about going above and beyond in his gifts . . . not just what we need, but what will delight us.

I've been worrying lately about various transitions, not so much in our life but in my parents', as they hope to find a new job for my dad in our neck of the woods and move out (cross-country) to help with Squidgle. This has been an incredibly unsettling, frustrating, draining process . . . they've been job-hunting for months with no result, and since we'd not only like to have them near but need my mom's baby-watchin' skillz, I've been getting tense for many different reasons. Somehow that green outfit brought me a lot of peace.


* Of course, in order to wear the large floral muumuu I have to go BUY the large floral muumuu. But I'm sure Wal-Mart will come through for me.

4 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Nursing bras are overrated. You can do a lot with a regular bra and some extra materials. For even more adventure, let a male do the work for you.

Why are women's breasts like computer games? Because they are meant for the kids but the dads play with them anyway.

Some people think enginneering random contraptions is play.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

As I said below -- hooray for free maternity clothes! :)

I've had about as good luck with nursing bras from Target as anywhere. Motherhood's mostly fell apart immediately, but pretty much every other one from anywhere else had been just fine. I like the ones that snap at the center, better than the ones that fasten at the top, but opinions on such things vary a lot.

And the main thing I found -- and I've been using nursing bras for over 5 years straight now (Wow that's a long time wearing ugly bras!) is that they last a lot longer if you don't stick them in the dryer. Probably everyone else in the world already knows this, but I'm slow.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Ooh, thanks for the advice. I was planning to go to Motherhood for bras, but I'm certainly not complaining if Cheaper, more Easily Accessible bra suppliers work even better . . .

I did a final non-maternity-purge of my underwear drawer the other day to make room for maternity stuff, and I almost cried when I packed up my pretty pre-pregnancy bras, maybe never to be worn again . . .

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Paranoid Polar Penguin Perpetually Pondering Peregrination said...

I like Bravado brand. They might be hard to find except online. Who wants 'em online!? (Well, if you are repeat buying, I guess.) A local shop had some here. Fancy that, finding ANYthing here! Just if you see some, I mean, you might like them. I'm sure there are other good ones. My sis hated the ones from Penneys, said they fell apart immediately. Blah, blah, blah. Tell me to stop commenting now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home