The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The news and the other news

Well, we had our last ultrasound yesterday, and here's the big announcement you've all been waiting for. Squidgle is

not a reptile. Yes, folks, our baby has four whole chambers in his/her heart! Beating madly away! Good baby.

We found out another exciting bit of information, too. Squidgle is

still head down. GOOD baby!

The ultrasound techie wasn't in again (is this a trend? Ultrasound technicians getting to take days off? What's up with that?), so one of the doctors ran the ultrasound. He was just checking Squidgle's heart, because last time, s/he was all folded up and they could hardly see the heart at all. He didn't go anywhere near below-the-waist. :) I'm rather relieved, because now I can put aside all temptation, knowing that we have no more chances of finding out the Squid's gender until birth.

The doctor did remark on how active our baby is (Squidgle twitched a few times during the ultrasound). The Husbandlet and I just laughed at this . . . after all, we're the ones who've been getting kicked for the last few months. That doctor ain't felt NOTHING.

We didn't get any new ultrasound photographs--sorry! But there is still a baby in there. A cute baby, too.

One more thing: I have developed another sense, a sort of primal Knowing when there's free food in the teachers' center. Yesterday, I skipped going through there because I didn't have anything to drop off in the refrigerator, but when I got to my classroom, my inner Food Intuitor told me, "There is food. Go eat it." And there was--homemade banana bread with butter. Mmmm. This morning, there was that inner urge again, which led me straight to a doughnut. A pregnant woman am I: men respect me, food fears me.

9 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Neb said...

AUUUGGHHH!!! It isn't nice to torture us so!!

:-D
Love, Auntie Neb

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Totally respect (though can't relate!) your decision not to find out the gender, but do tell: what old wives' tales symptoms are you having? Do they point toward boy or girl? Let's see how right they are!

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Oh, it's most amusing: I have all these people coming up to me and insisting with great force that I'm having one or the other, usually based on the same symptoms . . . i.e., people have told me that it's DEFINITELY a boy because I wasn't terribly sick/am carrying the baby high/started showing early, and others say it's a girl for the same reasons. I've had two people offer to do the needle-on-a-string-over-the-wrist Baby Gender Diagnostic on me. But my all-time favorite was when my sis-in-law's grandmother told me not to eat strawberries, lest my baby be born with a strawberry mark, and not to eat ice because then my baby would be born too cold and need to be put under a heat lamp at the hospital. And she was serious! I was half-expecting her to go on to warn me not to look at rabbits, or my baby would have a harelip.

Right after I graduated from college, I lived for a summer with the family of one of my professors. His wife is a nurse-midwife, and she told me that educated women who dream about their babies' genders are usually right. So far, I've had four dreams that Squidgle's a girl. I keep waiting for a little boy dream, but the girl dreams keep racking up instead. We shall see if my mommy's intuition is worth anything at all. My husband's instinct is that it's a girl, but he generally has the intuitive capacity of an overripe starfruit.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Neb said...

Of course Squidgle is a girl. She has lots of dresses waiting for her. :-)

Neb (The Unrealistic, chapion of poor logic and wishful thinking) ;-)

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

For whatever it's worth, I had three dreams that Doodles was a boy before I found out the gender. I went into the ultrasound absolutely *knowing* it was a boy. This time around I didn't have dreams, but I felt fairly (but not as) certain it was a girl. One of my clues was indeed morning sickness, however, not so much that morning sickness=girl but that with Doodles, I had not a stitch and with this one I had tons. It just felt like such a different pregnancy! The old wives tales, though, did also point to girl (faster heart beat, timing of sex, etc.).

Anyway, girl or boy you'll be so psyched when you see that little Squidgle. And you'll stay psyched until s/he refuses to nap for you. And then you'll be most decidedly unpsyched. :-) But I get ahead of myself....

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

You mean . . . sometimes babies refuse to sleep?! :)

I THINK the Squid's heartbeat is on the fast side . . . the drs. used to tell me the rate, but no reference point (i.e., "This is fast"), and the numbers immediately left my head because the lyrics to "Gilligan's Island" are taking up too much room . . . but I think it was in the 160s. Is that fast?

Hope the Doodlebug relents and takes a nap for ya . . .

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Mary said...

Hmm, interesting dream theory. I always dreamed of girls w/ Suzan. I think her heart rate was in the 160's too. Yeah, a little girl friend is better than a husband right now, anyway. ;) Not that I'm pregnant, but I dreamed of giving birth to a boy last week. Hooray! Except, after reading Jenny's post . . .

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Marylet, you know we have to keep producing children until we can arrange at least one marriage between our families . . .

Suzan's over a year old now . . . where's baby #2? :)

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

We didn't find out the sex of any of our three before they were born. I was absolutely certain that #1 was a boy and I was right. With the other two, I really had a lot of doubts and generally said I had no idea whether they were going to be boys or girls. They were both girls. My not-so-scientific theory is that I know I'm when I'm having a boy, but girls make me wishy-washy. Not sure whether I'll get to test that theory out another time though or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home