The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sweets to the sweet

As thanks for a Job Well Done during testing last week, the guidance department sent treats to every teachers' center in my school. I just ate ... well, let's just say there are a LOT fewer cinnamon Danish twists in there than there were. But before you start worrying too much about my eating habits, let me point out that

1) I also ate three quesadillas and a large bunch of grapes.
2) The cinnamon Danish twists were fairly small (and delicious and crispy).
3) I did leave a few for everyone else. My mommy trained me well.

When I was little, my parents enforced a strict Three Cookie Rule for fellowship hour after church. The maximum three cookies I carefully chose every Sunday were among the most savored desserts in my personal history (my husband's mint-chocolate pudding pie being also in that number). I've never had that much of a sweet tooth; during Squidgle's first trimester, in fact, sweets were on my No-thank-you-that-would-make-me-violently-ill list. Something kicked in at the beginning of our third trimester, though. Now no brownie, cookie, cake, pie, ice cream, or cinnamon Danish twist is safe ... I constantly feel like I need that energy kick. Is this normal?

In other news, my dearest husband (as opposed to all my other husbands, that I don't like quite so much) has plunged--literally--into field season. He has started coming to collect me every day bespattered with mud and smelling faintly of sunscreen and salt water. He also has the beginnings of a Marine Biologist's Tan, which differs from a farmer's tan in that it focuses on hands (not covered by wet suit) and back of neck (if sunscreen washes off). By midsummer, he will also give new meaning to the verb "to moon," as everything not covered by a bathing suit becomes quite dark, making everying COVERED by a bathing suit quite white in comparison. I am married to a skunk.

4 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Husbandlet said...

Yes, but I'm a cute skunk ;-).

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Powdered sugar is your friend... or Gold Bond, depending on which one of you I'm talking to at the moment. Just don't get the two substances confused :)

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

I have a major sweet tooth, so wanting to eat sweet things was no surprise to me when I was pregnant, but I did find I sometimes wanted them more than when in my non-pregnant state and would even eat things -- like Reese's Peanut Butter cups and Starbursts, which I usually hate -- just because they were nice and sugary.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Shamelessly Mary said...

I love food. I have a sweet tooth. The rest are chocolate teeth, I think. I have an anecdote, though, which means I should start a blog, not leave a comment. I visited my sister-in-law during my second trimester and we were sitting around after their 2 boys went to bed sampling their Halloween candy (I know, cruel adults). Mmmmmm. All of us (guys too, though less so) snarfing away when my s-i-l marveled at how I was passing up chocolate 3-1 for Runts, Starburst, Skittles and other pure sugar. I hadn't noticed. Mmmm, sugar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home