The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Friday, May 06, 2005

There were three in the bed

(though OUR little one mostly says wigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle).

* NOTE: The following post may contain Too Much Information. Consider yourself forewarned. *

Last night, we started perineal massage. Interesting experience, that. We're only at 30 weeks, but I wanted to start early because I am Paranoid, especially when certain sensitive bits of me are threatened by scalpels. (The main reason I don't want an epidural is so I'll be able to give the doctor a good front snap kick if he tries to give me an episiotomy.) Anyway, all throughout the proceedings, Squidgle went absolutely nuts. WIGGLEWIGGLEWIGGLEWIGGLEWIGGLE. So many wiggles. Did s/he think we were encouraging an exit before s/he is absolutely ready? Was s/he trying to help? Were the wiggles completely unrelated? Who knows?

Though it might have had something to do with the fact that we were poking his/her head.

We figured out that we could feel the baby's head internally through the bottom of my uterus. The Husbandlet felt it first; but as soon as he mentioned it, he got himself out of the way fast, because it is dangerous to stand between a mommy and her baby ever, under any circumstances, even if the baby is, technically, still inside the mommy. It took me a few seconds to locate Squidgle's head . . . and then, all of a sudden, there it was: a heavy, solid mass that was not me. I prodded it. (This is the woman who has been known to poke her sleeping internal baby to generate wiggles.) (And I have to point out that Squidgle has been ignoring me and sleeping straight through the pokes since about the fifth month.) I prodded it again. It moved away from me.

It's alive!

To my mind, this demonstrates, once again, that Squidgle shows remarkably good judgment, especially for a fetus. And is probably a Sensate. I, as an Intuitive type, would probably have to be prodded way more than twice before I figured out that I could move my head away.

Postscript: I am a uniformly logical, sensible person. Which would explain why I lay awake for a little while last night worrying that the head prods might have prompted the baby to turn head-up again.

7 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Neb said...

Good luck with the massage thing. I hope it helps towards a Happy Intact Birth. :-)

I doubt that Squidgle will reposition wrongly just from being poked. Good Squidgle.

Love, Auntie Neb

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Squidgle, are you listening? Listen to your Auntie Neb! NO REPOSITIONING!

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Husbandlet said...

Don't worry. If, like you suggest Squidgle is a sensate like her daddy she will definatly know which way is up. Daddy can tell which way is up underwater, with full SCUBA gear on in zero visiblilty and high currents so Squidgle should have no problem with the uterine invironment.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Jordana said...

But darling, we want Squidgle to know which way is DOWN. Squidgle, do not think UP. Think DOWN!!

I still have a tiny heel digging into my ribs, so I'm not really all that worried . . . :)

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Forgive my intrusion, husbandlet, but if you are sensate that means using the senses, which you can't do when they're all blocked. If you can't see, feel, smell, taste, or touch up but you "just know" which way is up, that's intuition.

This is all a horrible misuse of the MBTI types anyway, as the real meaning comes from combinations of letters... I was going to write about that in my blog sometime.

Keep intuiting, Squidge!

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Something tells me I missed hearing...

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Husbandlet said...

You may not be able to 'see' or otherwise sense 'up' but there are cues which one can sense that help to determine which way is up. Specifically, underwater bubbles go up, which allows for some good visual cues if there is any visiblility at all. The little water that is in one's mask will follow dear old gravity and congrigate on the bottom of the mask (and which one can observe using one's sense of touch), one's inner ears are remarkable in their ablility to show what direction's what. One's orentation also makes subtle changes to things like blood flow in the body, which can be noted upon, and one can note the direction one is traveling (up or down) by the change in pressure on the typanic membrane. When working in low or zero visibility one has to be aware of these subtle changes but if one keeps aware, orientation is not a particular problem. Those times when I seem most intuitive (accoriding to my wife) are usually merely examples of my recieving and interpreting very subtle sensory inputs of some kind (which I can usually identify) and therefore not intuition at all.
And sweet, by saying Squidgle knows which way is up, that implies she knows which way is down(just like knowing which way is up helps me to find the bottom of the river), and that she also knows which way she should be heading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home