The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

T minus 16 days! (Squidgle, are you listening?)

Well, things waddle on apace at this end. I have gone from being a mobile lump to a semi-mobile lump of pregnant mommyhood. We had a rather busy weekend, complete with our fourth baby shower (through Husbandlet’s lab group), tootling around looking at houses and cars for parents (who are officially starting their trek out here on the 8th or 9th of July—yay!), and frolicking with 12 small kidlets and their parents (well, the kidlets and my husband frolicked; I sat and talked birth stories with the mommies). Which explains why I was so completely exhausted yesterday that a little dishwashing and house-straightening reduced me to a horizontal non-mobile lump, lounging in bed, eating lime popsicles, and haphazardly re-reading A. S. Byatt’s Possession WHICH IS A FABULOUS BOOK GO READ IT NOW.

I have packed our little diaper bag with baby things to take to the hospital. I have our driving-to-the-hospital-while-in-labor bag stocked with towel and plastic trash bag/seat cover and emergency nausea supplies (i.e. Wal-Mart bags with no holes in the bottom). Now all that is left is to install the carseat and get the mommy and daddy hospital supplies packed. I think we are both about as prepared, physically and psychologically, as we can be. Squidgle, on the other hand, seems to be objecting to the idea of coming out, if his/her body language is to be believed: still head down, but attempting to jam rear end up through my rib cage like a tiny battering ram.

Speaking of ribs, Squidgle and I had a conversation* the other night, thus convincing our friend Chris, who was over for supper, that I am completely crazy. The Husbandlet had grilled barbecued ribs, and the Squid was attempting to navigate new passages in mine. So I told him/her, “You know, kid, we have a lot in common. Daddy and I like to eat ribs, and you like to kick them.”**


* I guess a conversation, by definition, really involves two or more people talking. Let’s just count the kicking as Squidgle’s contribution.

** We also like to tickle ribs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home