The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Friday, June 10, 2005

Turtle crossing

For some reason, small turtles are out en masse on our country roads. The Husbandlet and I had the amusing experience of watching cars swerve around a turtle crossing the road on Saturday, and then seeing what appeared to be the same turtle headed the opposite direction on Sunday. (Apparently, he didn't like that side of the road as much as he thought he would.) So far, we haven't seen any turtle roadkill, though we did see an extremely flattened black rat snake this morning.

La la la, not too much to report. Squidgle's hiccups are reaching the wall-shaking level. The Husbandlet continues to alternate a clamlike love for the briny deep with long days devoted to PVC pipes and large tubs of mud. The last day of official school was yesterday, and today is the first day of finals for me. Because I teach mainly seniors, who don't take the final due to a project they completed earlier, this means that I'm going to be sitting around twiddling my thumbs for the next week. Fortunately, I am reading an interesting book. I could also do a bit of cleaning up and packing away in my classroom, though my 35-weeks-pregnant condition makes this a bit daunting. I should do it now, though, as I'm unlikely to be any less pregnant by next Friday.

Do give me any tips you have for whiling away the hours, trapped in a classroom. Amusing Internet links will suffice. And yes, my Husbandlet, I will try to get some writing in as well. :)

6 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

Chris at The Big Yellow House has a great blog. One that makes you want to go back and read all the archives.

I'm also a big fan of Terry at Possumblog.

I read lots of really good blogs, but those are two that are always enjoyable to me.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Is this one of those books that says Shakespeare was someone else, or does it instead follow the standard lie that he was himself?

Just curious ;)

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Adrial said...

www.engrish.com is also fun ... although it may not be suitable for at-school viewing ... there's no telling what may come up on the "engrish of the day" page, language-wise.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

I just thought of another hilarious and timely site -- Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Jordana and Adelet--thanks for the links! I'll certainly be needing 'em.

Nate--Option 3? The non-standard lie that WS was who Stephen Greenblatt says he was ... Interesting book, overall ... Good detective work on Shakespeare, though one comment on WS's character that has survived from a contemporary is that he was an incredibly sweet guy, and you really didn't get that sweetness from this book. And a lot of it was tremendously speculative. It held my interest and I didn't skim it at all, which is saying something, but I don't think I'll take much of it into my future concept/study of WS.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

This doesn't involve the 'net, but hands down, the best reading for a new mom is Child of Mine: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385333021
(ooh, get the hardcover used for less than a buck!). I read this while nursing Doodles and found it very validating and reassuring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home