The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Friday, July 08, 2005

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Tums

I'm ba-ack! Actually, I haven't really been away ... just blog-slacking. Husbandlet objected to this last night, thrusting aside my feeble excuses ("Our home Internet connection is slow! I don't have anything exciting to write about!") with crushing logic ("You could type in Word! You made the Blue Shorts entertaining! Poor blue shorts." He misses his blue shorts). By the by, Nate claims to be able to install all new, non-sprung elastic into said shorts. I think he meant that he could instruct me in such craftiness, but I'm more inclined to mail the shorts to him for the operation. I do know how to sew, but finicky things like zippers and elastic and buttonholes I prefer to leave to the truly hard-core. Case in point: I made a beautiful quilt right before the Husbandlet and I got married ... which has never actually been quilted. I mean, the entire quilt is together, and we've been sleeping under it for nearly two years, but the little neat pattern of stitches designed to hold the front and back of the quilt together? I never got around to putting them in. I fear it's a lost cause, and I should just cave and take the quilt to a quilting store in town that has a quilting machine. Or I could mail it to Nate.

See, Husbandlet, see? I'm totally rambling.

As of yesterday, I have gestated the Squid for 39 weeks. I've been one centimeter dialated for over a week now, and I'm experiencing increasingly noticeable Braxton-Hicks contractions. I have developed favorite flavors of Tums. And my body has learned a new trick: let's take an already tightly-stretched area of skin, specifically the belly, and make it really, really itchy! Let's even get a lovely rash to break out! The baby doctor I saw today (whom, let it be said, I like tremendously) said that basically the only thing to be done for the itchy belly is to give birth. (This seems to be the answer for nearly every discomfort of pregnancy, including labor.) In the meantime, I'm pouring on the Vitamin E oil.

We have a fun weekend ahead of us. We've loaded up our Saturn, Clive, with emergency hospital-run-to-give-birth gear and a baby seat, and we're heading off to visit an aunt and uncle who live no more than the requisite hour's-drive from the hospital, and to take in two free Shakespeare plays (Two Gentlemen of Verona and Hamlet). Speaking of which, Husbandlet bought me a wonderful New Mommy Gift: DVDs of 15 Shakespeare plays done by the BBC as part of a complete works of Shakespeare series back in the 1980s. So far, we have watched The Taming of the Shrew (with John Cleese!) and the beginning of Richard II, starring one of my all-time favorites, Derek Jacobi. We are definitely Shakespeare geeks here at the House of Waddle; I must confess that I look forward to the day when we can snatch a few more moments in bed of a Saturday morning by telling the Squid (and any Squidlet siblings), "Go get some sugary cereal and watch some Shakespeare!"

I'll check back with y'all in about a decade and let you know if that actually works.

6 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Lallervie said...

It's about time we hear from you! I'm a lurker and you're on my Favorites list so when I need a giggle, I'm always happy to read your fun ramblings...I was starting to wonder whether you were in labor at the hospital! Happy birthing! Your life will never be the same...and that's a good thing! Hugs! (Can't wait for you and the Squidgle to brighten this little corner of the world...hope he/she comes soon so you don't have to deliver here in Dillsburg!) ;)

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Quilting is quite time consuming and bad for the fingers. I vote for the machine.

By the time I was five (and my sister three) my parents got time on Saturday mornings by locking the door and, if we knocked, yelling at us to go away.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

We're Shakespeare geeks too. Especially my husband, who wrote his college honors paper on satire in Shakespeare. Our local public library system is renowned for its marionette programs and put on a shortened version of The Tempest in marionette form, which my son (then 3) was completely in love with.

Recently we checked out some kids versions of The Tempest, Macbeth, and Hamlet and the kids really ate them up. My son and his dad were sword fighting today and The Boy declared that he was Macduff and that since he wasn't of woman born, he could slay evil Macbeth. I can't believe all he remembers! Anyway, our local library is going to be putting on a marionette version of Hamlet at the end of August and though they are advertising it for older kids, my son who is five is practically beside himself with anticipation.

Yay for literature geeky kids!

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Peter said...

I thought the Shakespearean method(s) of child rearing entailed killing them off young (Macbeth), or, failing that, marrying them asap (Juliet and Ophelia). Other options include disinheritance (King Lear) and the ever-popular, non-fatal exile-of-family-to-remote-island (The Tempest). Are there any plays where the young make it to adulthood relatively normal? (I'm not sure one can count Prince Hal as normal, at least when he ends up being played by Kenneth Branagh.)

Of course most of these options only work if you are royalty (how times change, eh?), so your kids should be pretty much okay.

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Screw Shakespeare. I'm interested in something else... which are your favorite flavors of Tums?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Lal--Hi, suitie! So glad you de-lurked. :) Yeah, as exciting as it would be to deliver at your place--or better yet, your sister's--I think it's all-around a good thing that Squidgle's absolute final deadline is July 21.

Jordana--Your children are absolutely adorable. I should be so lucky. My folks got me started on Shakespeare young, as well, so I've always thought it was totally feasible for kidlets to love the Bard ... in fact, I first saw many of the BBC Shakepeare broadcasts when I was around The Boy's age, and I loved them ... As a side note, I can't say that I really want to have a C-section, but I do think it would be fun to tell the Squid that s/he was from my womb untimely ripp'd. Though the "untimely" bit is a bit inaccurate, at this point ...

Peter--There's always Perdita. She's relatively normal as an adult. But she does have to go through the whole being abandoned in the wilderness as an infant, her drop-off-person getting eaten by a bear, being adopted by shepherds, wooed by a prince in disguise, and ogled by her father, and then finding out that a statue of her mother is actually alive, thing, so I expect she needed some serious therapy in Act VI.

Nate--Equate brand tropical flavor. This after months of serious research and comparison. Husbandlet says to tell you it's all chalk anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home