The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Do not despair


I do so apologize for the long silence. Excuses: 1) new baby (though I have learned that if I set up my laptop on my bed, I can nurse her to sleep in between me and it while typing); 2) parents just moved to town, and we've been house-hunting for them; 3) I'm finishing up two online classes that end this week; 4) I'm preparing to present a paper at a conference this weekend.

But coming soon: an account of Ngaire's birth. I promise. She is a wonderful baby, and very easy ... definitely the kind of baby that makes people have second children who turn out to be holy terrors. She loves people, and seems to sleep best in crowded, noisy places like malls and church fellowship halls and high schools. She likes her sling, and does NOT like her pacifier, which she always greets with a slightly pained expression. She is extremely enthusiastic about eating. If we keep her in bed with us, she sleeps through the night, and I pacify any concerns I may have about ever getting her OUT of our bed by re-reading a book by a sleep expert who claims it's pretty much useless to try to train a child to settle himself to sleep before six weeks of age. And it's not like the Husbandlet and I need the bed to ourselves before she's six weeks old, in any case.

Here is a picture of my beautiful daughter and handsome husband, moments after her emergence from the womb.

All in all, having a baby is even more fun than having a cuddly kitten. I have to say that I absolutely adore my daughter.

3 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

1) What kind of sling do you use?
2) Many of the "experts" (I use that word cautiously) say six *months* is when you can really "train" a child to sleep. We coslept with Doodles for six months, and--out of fairness!--plan to do the same with Sugar Face. The transition from our bed to crib was painful for me, but really not so much for him. I really relished cosleeping and on the few nights that Doodles has returned to our bed (like a thunderstorm last week), I realize how much I miss it. And you'll be surprised where you're able to sneak, um, grown-up time, with your husband. :-)

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Mary said...

Yay, you got a sling! I forgot to ask.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

With my son, we tried to put him in his own bed. We worked at all sorts of things and he would not sleep and did not sleep well for over a year and a half. We learned a lot after the first time though. It took me about 3 months to get the girls out of my bed and 6 months to get them out of our room. But when they went, they were sleeping all night and before hand we were all getting a fair amount of sleep. I was never in love with co-sleeping exactly, but I did love the fact that I got to sleep more even if it wasn't the most restful for me. It also seemed to help make the girls more comfortable and better able to sleep on their own later on.

And yes, you'll find ways to have grownup time -- when you are ready for it, even if you are still co-sleeping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home