The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Thursday, September 15, 2005

These hands were made for swaddlin’

In our ongoing quest for The Perfect Swaddle, it turns out that a proper-sized blankie is key.

Ngaire is eight weeks and three days old, and growing at an alarming rate. Without exact figures, the Husbandlet weighs about 14 pounds more, standing on the bathroom scale, when he is holding her, and when stretched out next to a yardstick, she covers about 24 inches. She definitely doesn’t get this from my side of the family. I weighed eight and a half pounds when I was two months old! Any baby taking after me would have to be scrawny!

As for my weight now … well, let’s just say that when I stand on the scale, I keep looking for more things to take off.

My nightly crunches are paying off, though, in the sense that now when I try to slither off the bed after nursing Ngaire to sleep, I can actually sit up instead of hauling myself up gripping the crib (so far the crib’s only major use), or deliberately falling out of bed. I’ve actually done the latter. Stop laughing.

Perhaps because she has spent so much of her short life lying on a bed next to it, Ngaire has developed a fascination with my laptop. She stares at the screen with so much intensity that sometimes she forgets to fall asleep. She can now follow objects with her eyes, and I think she must like the scrolling sentence on my screensaver.

I finally caved and started re-organizing the baby clothes. Oh. My. Goodness. SO many clothes! We’ve had tons of garments passed on to us, so in re-organizing I put together a bag of boy and generic clothes for Sarah, who is having a boy … um, yeah, that was redundant … and a bag of overflow-can’t-possibly-fit-another-pink-outfit-into-the-drawer clothes for the thrift store. Ngaire will be well dressed THROUGH AGE THREE on the clothes I kept alone. It was a huge project. Between that, folding laundry, and washing dishes, I’m exhausted.

1 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Oooohh... polite spam!

I've never had a baby (duh) but I've had my abdominal muscles so sore that I couldn't use them to get out of bed. Don't worry, I sure won't be laughing at you for deliberately falling out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home