The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Enough about the baby, Jordana; what have YOU been up to?

Well, I’m loving maternity leave. Loving it. I know it has to end, and the day after Thanksgiving break, it will, but I’m not entirely looking forward to that, though I do like my job. Alas.

I’ve been doing some writing (not on my blog, obviously). Also a lot of reading … I just finished Corelli’s Mandolin, and I have to agree with Peter that it is a good book with a terrible ending. Actually, it reminded me a lot of Candide in tone, content, and underlying message (meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless). I’m not sure I would necessarily recommend Corelli’s Mandolin, simply because it is a spiritually frustrating book to me, but it is well-written and I only feel like I wasted a little bit of time on it (the time it took to read the last couple of chapters). Go read Possession instead.

I finished my M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction back in August. And there was much rejoicing.

In other news, I have decided to become a Victorianist. I’ve been resisting this for awhile, because I wasn’t sure how much is left to say about Victorian literature. But I’ve never been content with the field of my M.A. (20th century British), and I’ve got a dissertation idea, so I’m switching. Tra la! You can all stop holding your breaths.

That conference I went to way back when? The one I said I’d blog about? OK, well, I guess I’m not going to, except to say that it was the kick in the pants I needed to get me back into academia. Graduate English studies are so painful these days, what with all the theoryspeak, but they do have a monopoly on English Ph.D.s. So I shall bottle through, because do we really want only theoryspeakers teaching undergraduates?

Of course, this is all rather in the future, as we are currently gestating the Husbandlet’s Ph.D. I guess you can go back to holding your breaths. In the meantime, anyone know a good online M.F.A. program? I’m only sort of kidding.

1 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Neb said...

Yay for extended education. :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home