The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Ngaire’s first haircut, or, The cry of the velociraptor

Last Wednesday, Ngaire had her first haircutting experience. I have a long history of getting a particular haircut, and then growing it out to my usual hairstyle (long and parted on the side). For the past few haircuts, I’ve played it safe and/or gone straight to my usual conclusion by simply getting a trim and some layers. This time, I decided to go all punk-rock on the world’s tushie and get bangs. So, after attending the Husbandlet’s talk at a conference at a big hotel in a small city, I packed the Squid into her stroller and we ventured out to a local mall.

Ngaire went to sleep on the way. She slept while I located the salon on the mall’s directory, while I trekked all over tarnation to get to said salon, while I waited for my appointment, and while I got shampooed. She woke up mid-haircut. Soon her angst was not to be contained by a mere stroller, so I held her on my lap for the duration of the haircut, causing both of us to get completely covered with little hair shards. Those hair-cutting capes, it turns out they keep off a lot of hair shards.

After the haircut, Ngaire had a blowout diaper, giving me a good excuse for changing her out of her prickly outfit. Incidentally, let me officially unrecommend Parents Choice diapers. In a pack of 48 diapers, around 35 of which Ngaire has used, we’ve had roughly 10,000 blowouts. My daughter and I were continually covered with poop. And that’s just disgusting.

Anyway, due to the hair shard and blowout action, Ngaire’s daddy gave her a shower that night, after which I wrapped her snugly and handed her off to the Husbandlet so I could take my own shower (which is always terrifying after a new haircut, because what if I can’t get the bangs to lie flat again or not look like rabbit ears?). Midway through, the Husbandlet entered the bathroom with a baby on his arm and said, “Your daughter is doing a velociraptor impression.” Sure enough, the Squid soon repeated her performance of (in sequence):

• Opening her mouth.
• Emitting a shrill, piercing cry.
• Attacking the Husbandlet’s shoulder or neck.
• Growling.

It was absolutely adorable.

Incidentally, Ngaire is back in Luvs; I’ve overcome a nagging penurious streak and didn’t even finish off the unused Parents Choice diapers in the pack. And would you believe it—we haven’t had a single blowout! Go on! Imagine, diapers that actually contain poop. Who knew?

1 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Peter said...

Fear not! Top scientists are working on your diaper problem. The smiling #1 and #2 are particularly cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home