The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Thursday, November 17, 2005

!!!!!

So, there’s a little song I sing to Ngaire almost every day. I learned it from my mother-in-law, and it’s one of those songs that teaches kidlets their animal noises. It goes,

I got me a rooster, my rooster pleased me,
I fed my rooster by the green willow tree,
My little rooster goes “Cock-a-doodle-doo
De-doodle-de-doodle-de-doodle-de-doo.”

I got me a [horse, cow, sheep, guinea pig, pterodactyl, you name it], my [same
animal] pleased me,
I fed my [animal] by the green willow tree,
My little [animal] goes [appropriate animal noise],
My little rooster goes “Cock-a-doodle-doo
De-doodle-de-doodle-de-doodle-de-doo.” (etc. ad infinitum)

Then you finish up with a rousing round of de-doodles and you’re home free. I usually sing, “I got me a baby … my little baby says, ‘Eh! Eh!’” and when I say I sing it every day, I mean every day, usually when changing diapers. It’s addictive (the song, not the diaper-changing).

Anyway.

Today, I was holding Ngaire on my lap, facing me, and I sang the first line of the song.

Me: I got me a baby, my baby pleased me.
(pause)
Ngaire: Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aaaaaaaah.

If you count the “ahs,” you will realize that MY FOUR MONTH OLD DAUGHTER SANG THE NEXT LINE OF THE SONG. She wasn’t quite on pitch, but she had the right general idea.

The Husbandlet, who of course got an immediate phone call at work to hear the story, said, “Ngaire’s probably wondering, ‘Why is Mommy so excited?’”*

At which point I turned to the Squid and said, “Don’t worry, sweetie, I got this excited the first time your daddy sang on key too.”


* Don’t worry, he was duly impressed. I made sure of it.

1 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Neb said...

She has inherited her mommy's musical abilities and her mommy's and daddy's intelligence. :-)

(Oh, what's that Chris? You say your singing has improved? Ha, I'll believe it when I hear it! :-D) (Just kidding, of course.)

Love, Auntie Neb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home