The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving


Three years ago, I wrapped up a whirlwind day of graduate work and drove to my parents’ home an hour away through darkness and pouring rain. I had to stop for gas on the way, and my umbrella blew away, and I had to chase it. I was in a particular hurry to get home because I had promised to call a friend that night so we wouldn’t miss our weekly chat—usually on Wednesdays—due to Thanksgiving busyness.

Our weekly phone chats, by the way, had increased by an hour a week since October, so that the previous Wednesday had seen us attached at the ear for five. whole. hours.

That evening, I got home, shook off some raindrops, said hi to my folks, and headed to my bedroom with the phone. Our conversation that night is worthy of note for several reasons:

• It was of record shortness (less than an hour, I do believe).
• Both of us were rather at a loss for words (very unusual).
• We took that time, rather haltingly, to declare our love for each other, so that I emerged at the end of the conversation and told my mom, “Well, I have a boyfriend.” (Her response: “How?”)

I spent the Monday after Thanksgiving running frantically around my graduate offices, trying to figure out how I could wrap up my time there and get out to the East Coast in less than three years. The next day, I called my new co-ELDRR-er* and told him, “I could finish up my M.A. in June and move out after that, so we should pray that I can find a house and a job.”

He said, “Well, it would make a lot more sense if we just got married and you moved in with me.”

I am willing to bet that this qualifies us for one of the world’s shortest dating relationships pre-engagement (one week), though we didn’t make it official till January 2, 2003. This was, incidentally, the very first possible day that he could have gotten a ring on my finger; we were on opposite coasts until December 26 and then caught up in the festivities and travels surrounding his brother’s wedding until January 1. And the stupid jewelry stores weren’t open on New Year’s Day.

So here we are, three years after that fateful rainy day, married and the parents of a sweet little girl, productive members of society in our respective roles of teacher and grad student, but most importantly, not paying separate rents.

I love you, dearest Husbandlet.

* ELDRR = Exclusive Long-Distance Romantic Relationship, via our friend Dan, who was very disturbed that we would call it “dating” when we hadn’t been in the same state since the previous March.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Husbandlet said...

Wonderful memories :-). I love you back so much my wifelet.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Neb said...

Awwwww....

Can I meet your child soon? :-D

Love, Auntie Neb

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Jordana said...

Neblet--yay soon!

Incidentally, we also found out we were going to have a baby on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home