The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Monday, January 23, 2006

The paradigm--it is shifting

Like (I suspect) most other breastfeeding mommies, I have always had one side (if you catch my drift) that was all about the high production, and one that was of a more moderate, Type B variety. The Squid has always favored the former (hereafter referred to as "The Right Side"), as have I, since it would reliably produce 4-6 ounces each time I pumped, unlike its 2-3 ounce-producing companion ("The Left Side").

No more.

The Right Side is letting me down. For the past two days, it has actually produced less than The Left Side. Which is somewhat problematic, as The Left Side is not necessarily producing more. Moo--except, slightly less moo.

Note my restraint. I waited until this happened a couple of times before announcing it on the Internet.

6 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Your little one is adorable!

I had this problem when nursing my boys. If this continues I would talk to a lactation consultant about it and see if she recommends taking Fenugreek or something to help produce more. Good luck!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Neb said...

um... in your experience, is there a direct or inverse correlation between Size and Milk Production?

enquiring "minds" want to know...

(wow, what HAVE the internets done to our sense of discretion...? (wait, did I ever HAVE a sense of discretion...?))

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Neb said...

should that have been, inquiring? have tabloids sabotaged my innate Sense of Spelling way too much?

(did I ever HAVE an innate sense of spelling...? sigh)

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jordana said...

Hi Amanda! Thanks for the kind words and advice, and congrats on your little one!

NEBlet! We-ell, not so sure about Correlations, but I am both Generously Proportioned and Generally Productive. I have known ladies who remained quite petite and yet (I assume, as their babies didn't starve) still managed to produce a reasonable amount of moo juice.

The Husbandlet leaned on The Right Side accidentally the other morning, and caused a leak.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

NEB, I would say there is very little correlation. When nursing I'm on the generous side of things, but depending on the child, I could pump more or less. I produced the most with the middle one and less with the first than either of the other two.

And Jordana, I would suggest that if you want to keep breastfeeding that you should probably see a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader. Sometimes using a bottle for half the day, even when you are pumping, can start killing your supply, but I presume a lactation consultant can advise you on tricks to up the supply.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I'd say there is some correlation - Anna feeds off only one side at a time, so I'm usually mildly lopsided i.e. the boob with more milk is bigger. However, the weird thing is that when my milk first came in, I was laughably enormous, even though I probably wasn't producing more than an ounce or two at a feeding. Now I'm making enough to exclusively support a chubby and growing 4 month old - but my C-size nursing bra is sadly loose, even with thick, damp breast pads inside. Where does all the milk hide?

I hope your milk dilemma resolves, Jordana. Now that the big 6-month mark is passed, have you started the Solid Food and Stinkier Poops era?

Love from Arizona!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home