The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Monday, February 27, 2006

Dead? Russian? Composer?

If I were a Dead Russian Composer, I would be Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

Considered the leader of the 19th Century Composer group "The Mighty Handful," I am indeed the teacher among them. My orchestration skills are superbly colorful, and are explained in my book on the topic, but works like "Scheherezade" explain my mastery better.

Who would you be? Dead Russian Composer Personality Test



I think I may have heard something by Rimsky-Korsakov, at some point ...

4 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Neb said...

Oddly enough, according to the quiz, I AM my husband. :-D

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Nate said...

Classical music is like disco. There is a big base of songs that most people have heard but can't name.

Rimsky-Korsakov was a prolific opera composer, but I'm not familiar with any of his operas.

"Schehzerade" and "Capriccio Espagnole" are probably his most known works among classical music lovers. The "Easter Festival Overture" is also well known. And there's that little ditty called "Flight of the Bumblebee" that everyone has heard. (Nicholas Danby, I think it was, played it on the organ with his feet on one episode of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, for example. I was impressed.) You can find MIDI files of it all over the internet.

Rimsky-Korsakov also did the orchestral trascriptions of a lot of Modest Mussorgsky's piano music (including "Pictures at an Exhibition"). Also, the well known Mussorgsky piece "Night on Bald Mountain" (see the Disney movie Fantasia) was Rimsky-Korsakov's orchestral interpretation of a Mussorgsky choral piece.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

Aha.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I came out as Rimsky-Korsakov, as well. Maybe he didn't like vodka.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home