The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Friday, March 03, 2006

Ash Wednesday

I grew up in a liturgical tradition, and when Lent rolls around every year, I try to give something up. However, somehow I never feel like Lent has properly begun unless I receive ashes on Ash Wednesday. So, on Wednesday, I dragged the Husbandlet and the Ngairelet and my parents off to a local church.

I've heard other parents say that they find it very moving to see the ashes on their babies' foreheads: a reminder of mortality, etc. etc. etc. I was fully expecting to get weepy when Ngaire received her first ashes, since dog food commercials make me weepy these days. But when I carried Ngaire forward for ashes, this is what happened: the ash-distributor looked confused, I proffered the baby (like Danny Kaye with the infant king in The Court Jester, for those of you who have seen that movie), the lady aimed an ashy finger at Ngaire's forehead ... and Ngaire grabbed the dish of ashes.

We all escaped mostly unscathed. But we laughed pretty hard, which (it seems to me) is actually a better response to the whole ashes-to-ashes thing than weeping.

3 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Blogger Neb said...

The Court Jester is a wonderful movie!!

Happy Lent. :-)

(is Lent happy...?)

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Husbandlet said...

The ironic thing is that I was standing behind during this whole process, and although I did find Ngaire's attraction to the ashes to be fairly amusing, I was appearently the only one who did feel a bit weepy. I'm not certain why, the whole mortality/death thing has never really bothered me, even RE my little girl (probably that's mostly b/c I plan to be long gone before she gets around to selling the farm), but perhaps more because of the whole religious experience thing. I so deeply desire for her to have a life that is permiated by the grace of God that watching her recieve a physical reminder of a trancendent reality was an emotional experience.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Jordana said...

Maybe that's one of the rationales behind infant baptism ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home