The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Thursday, June 29, 2006

This week:

VBS.

When I think about it, I note that Vacation Bible School week tends to be rather fraught with fraughtness for me; two years ago, I worked while feeling nauseous and sluggish and achy with a kidney infection, and last year, I worked while feeling acid refluxy, sluggish, and swollen with a 40+ week pregnancy. This year, we're leaving the Squid with my parents in the evenings so she can have a relatively normal bedtime, and things are going pretty smoothly. I don't know whether to be frustrated or amused that my parents seem to be unable to hear the Squid squeak without going in and getting her (this would be the Squid who now not only settles herself to sleep but then sleeps from 6 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. all by herself at our house every single night), thus waking her up and getting her all energized several times an evening. I keep telling them it's OK if she cries a bit, but their tender hearts can't stand for it. But I expect we'll all survive (big sigh) and any sleep re-training that is necessary can occur next week.

Sarah and our pastor's wife and I are in charge of the two-to-five-year-old group at VBS, and let me tell you, three of us to five of them (small turnout this year) seems like we're outnumbered. One little boy managed to unroll and then almost managed to flush an entire roll of toilet paper during the potty break last night. (Later, I was chatting with his father, and he picked his father's pocket and was happily playing with the photos and credit cards from his father's wallet when we looked around.) One little girl goes around alternately kissing and choking everybody, another little girl is constantly trying to make her escape, the third little girl likes to run around screaming inexplicably, and the final boy is always trying to move on to the next activity, whether we're ready or not. Between that and the tiny chairs, I'm glad I teach older (though debatably more mature) children generally.

4 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

I teach the baby class at church on Sunday mornings and have occasionally had to fill in for a missing teacher in either the 3-4 year old class or the 5-6 year old class and those are much, much harder.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Renae said...

Thank goodness we're done with VBS for the summer! I loved it - hubs and I taught the 3-5's last year. This year he worked with the older kids and I manned the nursery (lots of babies this year!).

What theme did you use?

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Jordana said...

SonTreasure Island, via Gospel Light. I like it overall; we used a different curriculum provider last year, which I liked better (I think), though I can't remember what it was called ... the Lava Lava Island/Serengeti Trek folks.

Tonight's the last night ... we're planning to make an ice cream run to celebrate after the kidlets have departed.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Renae said...

We did Serengeti Trek last year too - AND Son Treasure Island this year. And Lava Lava Island 2 years ago.

I guess the Serengeti Trek publishers suggestes a Christmas type theme this year - our director thought it was stupid. I thought it might be neat to do a Christmas theme - AWAY from the hubub of the actual holiday and the commercialization.

Hope your last night goes great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home