The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Friday, July 21, 2006

One year old!

Ngaire turned one on Tuesday. I arrived home after my wild Highland adventure on Monday night, so the first she saw of me was when I got her up on Tuesday morning. I was afraid there would be blank stares or tears, but instead she smiled, said, “Hm,” and lunged for my breast.

There were presents to be opened in the morning and a small piece of cheesecake to be eaten after dinner. I broke a few small bits off the tip of the piece for her to try; she ate them with her usual inquiring look and seemed to approve. When I turned around to get the camera, she crammed the rest of the piece in her mouth.

Since the cake lacked frosting, I put a dab of Nutella on her nose for the obligatory messy-faced baby shots. She seemed rather confused by this. Most of the Nutella-nose was for me, of course, but I did share a little with her.

On Tuesday, Ngaire, climbing onto my lap, used her hands and teeth (attached to my pant leg) as leverage.

On Wednesday, she walked all the way across the living room all by herself! She also figured out the Play button on the DVD remote by hitting it accidentally, and then studying the remote to find which button she had hit, and then hitting it repeatedly.

She loves to walk back and forth across the length of the house, towing an adult by one finger. She has also realized that books are for more than just eating, and will now sit quietly being read to, or giggling madly while Daddy reads her Moo, Baa, La La La! Today, I was sitting on the living room floor, and she brought the book over to me and crawled into my lap. She can’t get enough of being tickled or swung about by her arms. Her babbling is definitely polysyllabic now, full of whispering noises and many different consonants. She will sit and play with a board book for ages, turning its pages and talking to herself.

Yesterday, I bought her two pairs of shoes at Chez Wal-Mart, and this morning we broke one pair in on a walk on our street. Ngaire happily towed me around, stopping every so often to examine something more closely, and then she got tired and reached up to be picked up. I’m certainly enjoying every stage of her life, but this particular one has lots to recommend it.

6 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Moo, Baa, La La rocks!

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Julia said...

I read that to the 2 year old I take care of all the time...now I leave out the animal sounds and he says them all :-D.

I really love that 1 year old stage too...in fact, I love the stage from 9 months and on...the 2 year old I take care of now is a handful but his 10-month sister is delightful. The last little girl I took care of was 2 months when I started and 4 years when I finished...She was a wonderful companion until she started preschool!

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous That other Jordana said...

Welcome back and happy birthday to your little one.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Paige said...

Jordana, I check your blog at least once every day or so. Ngaire is growing up so fast! If you ever make it out to Seattle, you have to bring her along (not to mention the Husbandlet) so I can meet them. I'd love to introduce you to my internet guy as well - we're nearing our 1 year anniversary at this point. No kids, but we're thinking of getting a hedgehog as a pet. :)

Cheers!
- Your childhood church babysitting protege and favorite TAing student

Paige

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Jordana said...

Paige, are you married? Did I miss something? If so, I want to see pictures! And hear details!

If not, my dear, I must really caution you about premarital hedgehogging.

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J,
Yep, got married last August but didn't really have a wedding, just immediately family only and my pastor from California. So no pics to share, sorry. :( Am so glad to be able to keep up on your life through blogs - ain't the intran3t wonderful?

Cheers!
Paige

 

Post a Comment

<< Home