The Pregnant Waddle

Pre-Pregnancy Weight Just Around the Corner (It's Trying to Run and Hide)

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Not a baby, not yet a toddler

That makes Ngaire a Totterer.

Hi again!

My brother-in-law gave me a stern talking-to (hi Daniel!), so I am resolved to try to be a better blogger. The brain is creaking even as I write, trying to churn the events of the past few weeks so that the cream of entertainment rises above the curds of tediousness, whilst the whey of frivolity swims briskly around all. Or something to that effect.

Scotland was delightful. I mean, I didn’t actually see much of Scotland, but the conference was delightful, and I did so enjoy the creamy butter, the rolling hills, the interesting potato chip flavors (“Roasted Lamb with Moroccan Spices”), the round toilet seats, the accents (in which very few consonants are harmed), etc. etc. etc. The UK is just different enough from the US that one gets a tad tripped up, not in the big ways that one expects, but in little incidentals. You expect to have to pay attention to the money and looking the wrong way crossing streets, but I must say it was quite refreshing to sit down on an oval toilet seat again when I got back to the States.

I’m at an in-between period regarding my future career plans, as I’ve blogged about before … to return to grad school or not to return to grad school? If so, when? If not, what instead? I was afraid that this conference would make me feel sad about not grad-schooling right now, but actually, it merely gave me a kick in the pants in a side direction I’ve been working on, and a bit of encouragement to keep the future-degree/career door open. I feel pretty good about my decision to stay home with the Squidlet after the Husbandlet finishes up his degree, but neither pressured to stay home forever nor to definitely get back into academia. We shall see.

Anyway, the weekend after I got back from Scotland, we packed up the Squid and half the house and drove many, many hours to the family beach vacation. Ngaire loved the beach. Her daddy, granddaddy, uncles, and godfather were all too glad to toss her about in the waves, and the sand provided a lovely surface for trotting about. The abundance of relatives meant that she had her choice of fingers to clutch for walks, and our beach house came well-equipped with Stairs.

The vacation was all-around great, with the only potential blot being Ngaire’s reaction to her MMR or chicken pox shots from the week before. For the last three days of our vacation, she ran a fever and kept producing small red spots. Not a happy Squid.

However, now she seems to be over everything, and is happily tottering about the house in short, drunken bursts, with arms extended and a huge grin on her face. Methinks she approves of her mobility.

I’ve been working on this for three days now (not undistractedly), so I’m going to go ahead and post even though this entry is short on content. I will try to check in more often, if only to post an adorable picture or two. Hugs!

3 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Neb said...

Perhaps Ngaire would like to go for a walk with Auntie Neb?? :-)

(Can't wait to see you!)

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous peter said...

Re: conferencing - Is there any hope for poetry or should we take up gardening?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Jordana said...

There's a future in gardening, at least ...

But we poets must hang in there!

Great work, BTW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home